Test 20. Past Simple or Past Perfect?
1. I (enjoyed/had enjoyed) the film even though I (saw/ had seen) it before.
2. I got up late that morning so when I (arrived/had arrived) at the station, the train (already left/had already left).
3. I couldnít speak to them because when I (phoned/had phoned), they (went/had gone) out already.
4. We realized that we (met/had met) before as soon as we (saw/had seen) each other.
5. They (lived/had lived) in their house for twenty years when they (decided/had decided) to sell it.
6. My sister (bought/had bought) me ŗ novel but I (already read/had already read) it.
7. As soon as I heard his voice, I (knew/had known) we (met/had met) before.
8. When I (opened/had opened) the door, the lesson (already began/had already begun).
9. She (painted/had painted) the wall before the children (came/had come) home.
10. The pupils (didnít finish/hadnít finished) the test when the bell (rang/had rung).
11. I (met/had met) Ann ŗ week ago. She (just returned/ had just returned) from ŗ business trip.
12. As soon as I (heard/had heard) ŗ cry, I (ran/had run) out of the room.
13. I (tried/had tried) to phone John in the morning, but he (already left/had already left).
14. The children (didnít clean/hadnít cleaned) the room before their parents (came/had come) home.
15. I (finished/had finished) writing the project at 6 oíclock yesterday.
16. I (wrote/had written) the composition by 6 oíclock yesterday.
17. The teacher (understood/had understood) that the pupils (didnít do/hadnít done) their homework.
18. When my brother (returned/had returned) home, we (went/had gone) for ŗ walk together.
19. He (told/had told) me that he (never played/had never played) football before.
20. She (was/had been) ŗ nurse before she (became/had become) ŗ doctor.
Test 21. Past Simple, Past Continuous or Past Perfect? Put the verbs in brackets into the correct form.
Yesterday Ann (1)(see) a strange man leaving the house. She (2)(notice) that he (3)(wear) a raincoat, and she (4)(wonder) why because it (5)(be) hot and sunny. The man (6)(not see) her. He (7)(begin) to walk away but he (8)(stop) suddenly and (9)(get) into a blue car that (10)(be) parked near the corner. Ann (11)(notice) a large bag by the wall. She was frightened as she (12)(watch) a programme about bombs the night before. So she (13)(decide) to phone the police. By the time they (14)(arrive), the man (15)(go).
Future Simple/Future Continuous/Future Perfect
Date: 2015-12-24; view: 442